More than just a newsstand...

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Two-Year-Old!

We're proud to announce we've got a two-year old (marital relationship)! It's been anything but plain sailing. All around, people say that the first year or so is the 'honeymoon' year, where all is lovey-dovey wide-eyed wonderment. I've been wide-eyed and in wonderment why it didn't happen to me. I'll have you know that the ride gets worse from when you say "I do" before it gets better. There is hope though.

Time isn't the source of hope, though getting to know each other's idiosyncracies and inner motivations become more familiar. It's really going beyond knowing the likes and dislikes into the 'Who are you really?'. You might find this amusing but while courting my then girlfriend, I never did make it officialese that we were an item. I just thought we were and expected the fairer half to know that. But before we started moving towards formalising plans to wed, she sat me down one evening and asked, "So what is THIS?" She meant the status of our friendship. She wanted an answer. She wanted to know where we were.

Since our vows exactly two years ago, I want to say, "I know where God is". And that's most pivotal, because I can creak, crack and crease but our Heavenly Father who initiated our relationship has been a rock solid anchor Who will not slumber, slip or have a shut-eye. It is this God Whom I must base my relationship on.

My wife gave me a card tonight. In it, she recapped how we'd had to make adjustments over the past two years to be where we are today - interlocked and entwined in marriage. Truly without adjustments, without each of us losing a bit of our former selves to find that groove where we both fit into this wheel called 'marriage', there'd have been major breakdowns. It is our common faith in Christ, our abiding in Him that allows Him to keep this wheel well-oiled and running. I admit I've sometimes go off course and have had to be shaken up, all for the purpose of getting me back on track.

Marriage isn't about the first and last letters, it's about the emphasis and elevation of the other person. Being the self-serving being that I am, I continue to work in abasing myself even as Christ gave Himself for His church.

May the Lord find my wife and I faithful in marriage through to a ripe old 'age'.

And about the subject heading, in His time. :o)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

she will be so touched to read this...congrats! Darren

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

 
Blogger Sam & Elaine said...

And that would be 2 years since I got to know you and Dorcas further!! hahaa.. it's nice to hear about your journey thus far =) stay blissful in the Lord always!!!

PS, the subject heading sure sounds exciting! haha..

- Elaine

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

 
Blogger mr.sandmannn said...

aaaaamen!

Friday, August 21, 2009

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bestest Friend,

A marriage is like a roller coaster, well, that's for me, lots of ups and lots of downs, lots of excitement and moments of 'clench knuckles till white' too. But through it all, there's always someone to grab on to on the roller coaster ride. I know, the analogy is a little cheesy but that's how I see my marriage.

I forgot to add the screaming bit....you know, riding the roller coaster and screaming.....and holding on to your partner....that's me at times, screaming and screaming and my babe, just holds on till I'm done with screaming. Very comforting for me to know that he's there throughout my screaming. Well, don't think Dorcas does lots of screaming....it's might be just me!

Congrats! And to many more years to come!

Monday, August 24, 2009

 
Blogger Cedric Tan said...

So sweet. And a hearty Amen to that.

Monday, September 14, 2009

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home