More than just a newsstand...

Friday, June 26, 2009

Death & Life is Black & White

Behind me, I hear one of the two glass doors open. He saunters into the office, his feet heavier than most mornings. I could hear the drag. Still waiting for my PC to load up, I turn around and in typical fashion, bid him "Good Morning". With a quizzical look on his face, Justin asks, "You know Michael Jackson's died right?" "Yeah, I heard it in the news on my way in", I replied.

It wasn't the kind of reaction he'd expected. To make sure I knew just who has passed on, he added, almost as if delivering an eulogy, "Michael Jackson's a legend man." I tilt my head, shrug my shoulders and under a sigh to convey at least some hint of empathy, breathed "And he's human too. We all have to go one day."

My nonchalance to the news of the death of someone whom the world touts as 'The King of Pop' could have been interpreted as being utterly disrespectful. Should I be in greater distress on news of his death? I can say I know of him but I can't claim to know him enough to care, to grieve, nor care to grieve.

He had some trend-setting dance moves, hundreds of stunning mega concerts, participated in charity projects and set up funds and foundations. I'll not take that away from him. He had hopes to 'heal the world' and 'make it a better place'. He had Neverland Ranch for a time and had his time in court. I suspect he felt prejudices about being black and being white, to which he rationalised that it really ought not to matter in one of his songs. Michael has been a man whose life has been a spectacular thriller for millions around the world.

Should I grieve? No. Do I feel anything at his passing? No. Will I pay tribute to the man? Only as much as I have in the paragraph above and not a word more.

Life on earth isn't forever - that we know. The brevity of life is recognised. There's so much truth in how life is described in a book I read every evening - like a flower, like water spilt on the ground, like grass, like a shadow, like a mist or vapor, like the wind, like a sigh. That's for the here and now.

What next? Is life the 'be all' and death the 'end all'? While the world celebrates the life of Michael Joseph Jackson and perhaps reminds itself that life on earth is but for a time, let's also seriously ask ourselves if life on earth is the only life we're prepared to live, because life doesn't stop here. And because it doesn't, where we go once in and through death's door would be essential to know - as essential as your very next breath.

More thoughts soon...for while I have breath in my nostrils.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home