More than just a newsstand...

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Family Phases

5th November 2005, Singapore - It's wedding galore as we enter the final two months of 2005. There goes Mabel, Amos and Gillian down the aisle (erm...not together but with separate partners). Come December, Wee Ming & Wendy, Stephen & Hwan Jing and Dennis & Belle bid farewell to singlehood. Each occasion, the coming together of not only two individuals, but two families.

Still on the family front, Donna's a happy mommy with a less temperamental number 2! (She prayed for it and got it!) Gerry's due to pop anytime now; she may even do it before I complete this entry. Then there's cousin Joe & Marina who're due to be proud parents in the first quarter of 2006. Additions to families...ahh...ever a cause for celebration!

Do you celebrate the people around you? I don't go out with my dad alot. The three occasions we typically spend time together are over a duel on the tennis court, in a bowling alley or watching tv in the living room. But I had an opportunity to take dad shopping downtown on Thursday. My excuse was that I had to drop off a pair of jeans for alteration and had a G2000 voucher to use before it expired. He followed closely behind as I led him through the underpass and up the elevators. He admitted he'd be lost if left alone in the maze of tunnels, bright lights, sprawling malls and manic crowd. I suppose my folks (maybe yours too) aren't quite into jostling in the city crowd and walking the stretch of Orchard. But I felt the tables turning. The days when my parents brought me around and showed me things and places are no more. It's now my turn to lead them on, bring them places and show them things.

I am reminded that every day ought to be a celebration for the people you live with and love. Don't neglect them, don't leave them behind. It's nice to do things you normally wouldn't think of doing with them. For me, it was just a simple walk from Shaw Centre to Tangs, to Wisma Atria and back with dad. I felt happy showing him things and taking him around.

You'll be pleasantly surprised to see how a little break from routine that you introduce in their lives makes them appreciate that you care even as they get older.

So act on it! Bring your folks places. Don't just leave them on a rocking chair or your fancy Osim I-Chair. Bringing them out makes for good exercise and family bonding time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vincent said...

hey stan.. this entry really got me thinking. thank you! =)

Monday, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger Vincent said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, November 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home