More than just a newsstand...

Thursday, September 29, 2005

5 Years 5 Months

28th September 2005, Singapore - Stay longer. This seems to be the desperate plea employers are making when it comes to having their employees stay with them for more than a few years. As early as the 1970s, job loyalty and the sticking with one employer for life seemed less of a preference for workers. What used to be an employers' market now has it turned belly up and siding the workers. Blame however cannot be fully borne by workers for their restlessness and itch to change jobs every few years. The nature of the job and the constant advancement of technology, and in turn, processes and systems, don't support a worker's middle to long term commitment to an organisation even if he or she had such intentions. Employers are also increasingly offering contractual appointments rather than employment terms that favour a lifelong career with the organisation. To many workers, there is also a perception that changing jobs can raise one's market value, though this isn't conclusive until an indepth study is conducted and its results known.

Today, I took time off my 3-week army stint to attend the long service award ceremony in the office. I was given a memento by my CEO in recognition of almost 5-and-a-half years I'd devoted to the corporation. Looking back at how 'long' it's been, I must say I even surprised myself. But seeing the path I've travelled these past five-plus years, I see higher hands leading me. Hands to point and guide me at every turn. Hands to still the storm and lift me up at its roughest moments. Hands to cheer me on and give encouraging applause at joyous and rewarding junctures.

Rewarding....yes. That's how I'd like to view my rash decision this afternoon when I signed up for the vertical marathon to be held here in November. It'll be a steep heart-stopping 73-storeys up Swissotel the Stamford. The view from up there on the helipad must be a breathtaking sight and I suppose that would be the only logical motivation for me to huff and puff all the way up to those dizzying heights. I figured that with all the running I do on the tennis courts (many have referred to my sporadic sprints on court as 'scurrying'), it wouldn't be too difficult scurrying upwards rather than on a horizontal axis. Well, it waits to be seen I suppose. I'd definitely be keen to put some training into this so I do give the muscles I'll be using for the upward climb a bit of a stretch and have them anticipate and get a foretaste of the torture I'll be putting them through on that day.

So if you see a breathless character dropping beads of sweat in your stairwell, be it a residential or commercial block, it could very well turn out to be yours truly training for the run of his life! *pant pant pant*

1 Comments:

Blogger love, me. said...

ah...running and stairs...two things I do not enjoy. thanks for posting on my blog...from reading the titles of your previous blogs i think i'm gonna have fun surfing through. hmmm..the songs are original i suppose...everything to me sounds the same these days and we all have influences right? but yea...i wrote them using my guitar and chords...namely G,C2,D,and sometimes Em....and they're sung on the 3rd fret...well at least I do. Don't know if you have any idea what I'm talking about but there's the answer to your question...

Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home