More than just a newsstand...

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Back To Bulldozin'!

19th September 2005, Singapore - In the name of national defence, I'm back at my unit for the next three weeks. Back to the sun, sand, shovelling and sweat. And for those of you who know the classified details of what I do in my vocation, yes, it's a little of the bulldozing stuff too. (Plus the 'dozing'!)

It's great being able to catch up with my buddies; it's become somewhat like Chinese New Year reunions where you keep each other abreast with all that's happened the last year. It's also a chance to drop all sense of guardedness and be boys once more; exchanging physical jabs and jokes and having fun along the way. That's not to say we don't have proper, decent and thought-provoking conversations. Contrary to popular belief, men have substance up there too you know.

Back in my active days as a fulltime soldier, there were 12 of us in our team. In alphabetical order, our team was called "Kilo" ("Golf" is before us and "Lima" is one after). For the past 4 years that I've returned for my reservist training, we've had 6 of our team return each time. The rest deferred. There are 8 of us this year, so that means we've got more people to do the same amount of work. So you could effectively call us "2/3 of a kilo" back at reservist this time!

From the seven of my buddies, I was pleasantly surprised one's now father to a 6-month old boy. Two have changed jobs. And three are due to marry next year. It's amazing how many things can change within a year.

Changes can be frowned upon, they can be scary. They can stir anxiety and cultivate resentment and a rebellious spirit. And even as I reflect upon the many changes in my life and as you reflect yours, amidst the shifting sands of time and direction the wind blows, I know I have my feet planted on solid ground. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. He's my fortress and my deliverer in Him will I trust (2 Sam. 22:2). Why should I be anxious, when yesterday, today, forever (Heb. 13:8), this same God who has been watching over me will continue to do just that?

And before I forget, I owe you the translation to "Siku Ya Mwana Kondoo" as promised in my entry dated: 9th September. A direct translation of the title is, "When the Day of the Lamb Cometh". "Lamb" in this instance refers to the second return of the Lord Jesus Christ, a future event all Christians anticipate and look forward to. If you're not looking forward to that day, perhaps you don't know my Jesus, or perhaps you don't care. Whichever the case, I hope you will in time come to know and come to care, because it WILL determine your eternal destiny. If you buy insurance policies for life, I'd be puzzled why you're not insuring yourself for what lies beyond death's door. Oh and in Christian talk, that's called 'eternal life'. It's a destiny that can't be forced upon you, it's not something you inherit from family or friends, it's YOUR call, YOUR decision, and if reading this will make you think about the choice you have to make (if you haven't made it), I hope my blog will lend itself positively to it, just because I care that we're all headed to that same destination when death knocks.

Here's what the song means:
"When the day of the Lamb cometh,
When the trumphet shall sound,
He shall take His own to Heaven.

Mom and dad, oh I want to warn you.
The salvation of your children shall not save you.
Oh dear brothers, I want to warn you.
The salvation of your brother shall not save you.
Oh dear friends, I want to warn you.
The salvation of your friends shall not save you.

Two shall be seated together, and He shall take one of them.
Two shall be sleeping together, and one shall be left."

I pray you won't be left behind on that day. Am I getting preachy? Well you could call it that, or just think of a crazy sale with the best bargains you'll ever get and that I just can't wait to tell you about it and make sure you benefit just the same. And you ought to know how fussy a shopper I can be! So trust me on this referral! :o)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, September 19, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stan!

good to see your blog...:) havent really read through everything, too many words making my eyes dizzy...:p but but.. i am sure we all know how fussy a shopper you are! haha

Keep on blogging though, it's been encouraging to read :)

Monday, September 19, 2005

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home