More than just a newsstand...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tribute to A Union

It never quite occurred to me that a union of one kind could break up a union of another. I'm still reeling from the sting abandonment brings, which was why I couldn't post this entry sooner. It's like a a papercut, but one that goes much deeper and threatens more serious complications that a mere superficial wound. It took three odd years to build up the chemistry that we have, and two days ago, it counts but numbered days. Time is ticking; sands are shifting. Life must go on. Soothsayers say, "Enjoy it while it lasts". Can't enjoyment be mine to enjoy for longer?

I am sentimental, expressively but rationally sentimental. Can an impending separation not affect me? Even the tin man in the Wizard of Oz felt emotions. How unfortunate that oftentimes, we only begin to treasure what we have when we know it will be taken from us. I wonder how many couples shared solidarity the way we did; we were united in bringing only the best of ourselves and our work to the hundreds and thousands who listened to us. Soothsayers reinforce, "All good things must come to an end". Can't the 'end' come later?

She laboured, she created, she crafted. Yet the 'little princess' understood humility and diplomacy through her delicate and polished manner with people. Her names means 'Queen'; she lived up to it. Her mother must have had great foresight to have bestowed on her such a title. The Queen's reign in this kingdom is about expiring. Soothsayers quip, "A new lady can be found". But I retort, "To find another like her is as the prince who sought far and wide and encountered many possibilities before he found Cinderella whose feet the slipper fit".

This entry is to honour Mahesha Thenabadu - my colleague, my co-host, my lunch partner, my friend. Bidding you adieu and Godspeed. Wishing for you a union that will bring much joy.

Before you leave, make sure to pack drawerfuls of memories containing our foul-ups on air, the "Happy Stupid Days" we had, the corny jokes we shared, and for just allowing each other the space and opportunity to be ourselves, to let our guard down and be who we are on air and off. I'll miss you when you head Down Under, but don't worry about me. Many will rally us on because they say that behind every dark cloud is a silver lining. May that lining never end for you. I won't know if there'll ever be a Cinderella like you, but even if there was one, she'd never be a size 6, love hot chocolate, end her meals half-eaten, have a knack for tiger rolls and know how to sew her own clothes. Thanks for being you, 'Mashabadu'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home