More than just a newsstand...

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Overnight

2nd May 2006, Singapore - Overnight from the 6th to the 7th of May, the General Elections of this city state will be known. Overnight, we will know the number of candidates from the ruling party who will be returned to power and by what margin. History is written and the future set Overnight.

Overnight last week, between Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, an acquaintance was called home to Christ. All of 29 years old, in the prime of his life, just two months into a new job, he was found dead in his office by a colleague. His time was up Overnight.

Overnight, a good working relationship with a trusted and respected contact I had came to an abrupt end. The agreement is off but the show must go on. A premature call-off with no offer to resolve the issue. The deal was called off Overnight.

Circumstances like these hint at the transient state of government, the fragility of life and the unpredictability of characters. It can be all fine and dandy one day, and cold and bitter the next.

Things may change overnight, yet I have certainty and hope. I find comfort and encouragement knowing these:
- That my Lord Jesus Christ is "He is the same yesterday, today and forever". (Hebrews 13:8)
- That when the waves swirl, He is my anchor. (Hebrews 6:19)
- When the wind blows and the arrows fly, He fits me in the cleft of the rock (Exodus 33:22)
- When troubles come, when all seems helpless, He is my "refuge, strength and a present help". (Psalm 46:1)

Come what may overnight, my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. Indeed "the Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen!! press on brother

-sim

Thursday, May 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home