More than just a newsstand...

Monday, September 29, 2008

Stanley is NO LONGER listed as 'SINGLE'

You know how friends sometimes update their status on Facebook - some go from being 'single' to 'in a relationship', you can sense the pain when someone types in his or her status going the reverse. Yet others go from 'in a relationship' to 'married'. Today, my relationship status changed. I've gone from 'single' to 'double'.

I've been 'Han Solo' for just over 2 months and this period has ranked among the tougher times of my career. Being the only voice, face, hands and feet of the show is draining. You're paid a person's salary to bear the workload of two. If not for the transient help of Evelyn, Phoebe, Nicole, Keith (our interns) and my boss, the show would not have gone on the way it has. God's been good, enabling me to keep up with the day-to-day production and presentation these many months. My days of singlehood ceased today! There have been a few false alarms from my bosses about having found someone suitable to co-produce and host the show with, but like I said, they were false alarms. It looked like it would take forever for someone to be found. It didn't quite take forever. It just took the closure for four magazines to move the missing piece in place.

This Living Room was too roomy for one to play host to guests, but it couldn't be just anyone. It was my prayer that it would be someone with whom I could connect with as a friend, not just a colleague. It would be someone with whom I'd share many common values and drives, not just a programme and time on air.

God answered my prayer today. Before setting off from home today, I silently prayed that I'd set off on the right footing with this new colleague I was going to meet. We did, in more ways than one! Upon meeting her in the office (it being her first day with our station), we were both wearing F1 Grand Prix lanyards! Who would have thought?!

We even shared our first joke. I teased her at the speed at which she pounded away at her keyboard, almost like the way Alonso whizzed around the street circuit of Singapore last night - unapologetically quick with no time to lose. I said in jest that at the rate she typed, one could tell she was formerly working for a magazine! She's earned her first nickname from me (I promise to limit name-giving since I'm not baptising her or anything) - Keyboard Killer!

It looks like we're off to a good start and I can't wait to do some exhilirating laps with my new partner 'in crime'. The world's inaugural night race may have ended, but for us and as the Carpenters would sing it - We've only just begun....

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Thanks for sharing your blog.

Wow, I didn't know you prayed about this. When Vanilla closed, I was very sad but I just trusted that God has another plan for me, somewhere where He feels I'm needed MORE.

I guess this is it.

I feel blessed to be here. And even though today is my first day, I feel strangely "at home". I'm blessed too to have a fellow Christian as a partner. :)

By the way, other than the F1 lanyards, my blog (which I have not updated since June) has the exact same chosen background! :D

I'm looking forward to working with you. And since you've given me a nickname, watch out buddy... You will get yours too - soon! >8)

Monday, September 29, 2008

 
Blogger Stan said...

Oh-oh....it's surely morphinh to be one exciting name-calling partnership! ;o)

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home